“How long should you cook 2 hot pockets in a microwave, oven, or air fryer?” It can be the burning question for every hot pocket lover. WHY?
2 hot pockets are the ideal serving size; cooking them simultaneously can save you time.
But you might be sick of your hot pockets always getting overcooked or left undercooked and frozen in the middle? Don’t worry! We’ll show you how you can do it the right way!
With so many different ways to make hot pockets, Microwave, Oven, or even your trusty air fryer, we’ll teach you how to do it in every way, so read on to find your favorite method.
1. How Long to Cook 2 Hot pockets in a Microwave – First Recipe
The most basic way to make hot pockets is by microwaving them. It’s super safe to microwave them and the quickest, taking less time than an oven or an air fryer.
Be careful not to leave it unattended, though! As it’s a fact that the hot pocket may explode under extreme conditions!
What you’ll need
- A microwavable plate.
- Microwave oven.
- 2 hot pockets (with the sleeve).
- Microwave cover (optional).
Steps to Microwave a hot pocket
- First of all, remove the hot pocket from the box.
- Remove the plastic packing and insert the hot pocket into the cardboard sleeve.
- Take the 2 hot pockets (with the sleeve) and place it on the microwavable plate.
- Put the dish into the microwave.
- I always place a microwave cover on top of anything I microwave as it helps keep the microwave clean.
- Now you need to set the microwave timer to 2 minutes and start it.
- When your microwave makes a beep sound, it’s done.
- Wear an oven mitts and take the plate with the hot pockets out of the microwave.
- Next, take the hot pockets out of the sleeve and feel it with your fingers. If they’re not done, put them back in the sleeve, turn them over and microwave it for another minute and fifteen seconds.
- You’re ready to enjoy your quick hot pocket snack!
- You can eat it with a fork, fold one side of the hot pocket sleeve, and eat it with your bare hands!
Points to Remember
The vital thing to note when making a hot pocket is that the internal temperature should reach about 74 degrees celsius; if you have a food thermometer, you can quickly check.
For some reasons, like the strength of your microwave, if the hot pocket isn’t cooked, you can repeat the last three steps. For cooking more hot pockets at once, you’ll need to throw them in the microwave for upwards of 4 minutes, and if they aren’t done, you can also repeat the last three steps.
Likewise, the cooking time of hot pockets in a microwave also depends on your microwave’s wattage. The time explained above is for a standard microwave of 1000-100 wattage.
So, as a rule of thumb, you should only microwave the hot pockets till they attain the internal safe temperature of 74 degrees Celsius.
2. How Long to Cook 2 hot Pockets in the Oven – Recipe
Hot pockets are great when you want a quick and filling snack on the go, but if you don’t own a microwave or have some more spare time, you can use an oven instead.
It’ll take a longer time than a microwave, but in the end, you’ll end up with completely cooked hot pockets that are far crispier with hot melting cheese that you can enjoy! BUT for the taste they can’t beat the microwave cooked hot pockets, honestly.
Don’t worry, they’ll still be fully cooked. Here we cook 2 hot pockets in the oven.
What you’ll need
- An Oven
- A baking tray
- Baking sheet or aluminum foil for easy clean-up of the tray
- 2 hot pockets (without the sleeve)
- Oven mitts (safety first!)
Steps to cook 2 hot pockets in the oven
- As with most oven recipes, before anything else, you must preheat your oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, take the hot pockets and remove the covering and the plastic wrap. You won’t need the cardboard sleeve when cooking hot pockets in the oven — they’re only for microwave crisp.
- Now, prepare the baking tray, clean it up, and put the baking sheet or aluminum foil on it so you can clean it easily later.
- Place the 2 hot pockets on the tray.
- Carefully place the baking tray with the hot pockets in your oven and close it.
- Let them bake for about 25-28 minutes. (Observe it after 25 minutes so that it doesn’t burn them).
- Wear your oven mitts and remove the tray from the oven.
- Voila, your crispier and superior Hot pockets are ready to be eaten and enjoyed!
Always preheat the oven, as it won’t start cooking until it reaches the desired temperature. Don’t forget the aluminum foil. Aside from keeping the tray clean, it also helps in cooking.
3. How Long to Cook 2 Hot Pockets in the Air Fryer – Recipe
Microwavable hot pockets are easy to make, but there is always that stale, frozen taste. Even with the cardboard crisper, they aren’t that crispy or cheesy.
Oven hot pockets are unique, but they take so much time to make that you’d rather throw them in the Microwave.
Here’s where the air fryer comes into play, making hot pockets crispy on the outside, and hot and cheesy on the inside, all while taking half as long as an oven. This recipe might change how you look at hot pockets forever!
What you’ll need
- An air fryer
- 2 Hot pockets but without the sleeve
- Oven mittens (a must)
Steps to Air fry the hot pockets
- First , preheat the air fryer to about 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. This step is essential, just like we did in the Oven, because it helps foods cook more evenly.
- Remove the covering from the hot pockets and the crisper cardboard, too as you won’t need it.
- Place the 2 hot pockets into the air fryer basket.
- Set the timer of the air fryer to about 10-12 minutes.
- After half the time has passed, remove the basket and flip over the hot pockets.
- Insert the tray back into the air fryer and then let them cook the remaining time.
- After they are done, remove the tray (use mitts so you don’t burn yourself).
- You’ll see that they look nice and brown.
- Place them into a plate and cut through them to witness the awesome cheesiness.
- Serve hot!
Alternative quicker way (a hybrid of air fryer and Microwave)
This method is for when you want the crispiness of the air fryer but don’t have much time on hand. It’s not as crispy as air frying it, but it’s much better than the microwave method. First, microwave the hot pocket in the sleeve for about a minute.
Next, heat up the air fryer to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit and remove the hot pocket from the Microwave and the sleeve. Place it into the air fryer and cook inside for 3-4 minutes. This method allows for a crispier crust in less time.
Let it cool for about 5 minutes (or not if you like it super hot), and enjoy!
Is it safe to microwave hot pockets?
It’s entirely safe for microwave hot pockets as long as you’re vigilant and don’t leave them unattended for too long. You can be even safer by using a microwave cover top so that even if something happens, your Microwave will be safe.
What’s the best way to cook hot pockets?
Honestly, it all depends on you and how much time you have to choose the best way for yourself. In my opinion, if you’re low on time, then the Microwave is the best option. They won’t be super crispy, and the cheese might be a little rubbery.
The Oven is the best way to cook hot pockets, you’ll get crispy hot pockets with melty cheese, but it takes a long time and might be a hassle.
The air fryer is the middle ground between the two as you’ll not waste as much time as the oven and end up with crispy and juicy hot pockets.
I don’t have a microwave, oven, or an air fryer; what do I do?
It’s improbable that you don’t have any of these three items in 2022, but for the sake of the question, let’s address this issue. You can even cook your hot pockets on a stove!
Fry the hot pockets on a stove for 2-3 minutes per side on medium heat. The filling is already cooked so the point of cooking them is to add a bit of crunchiness to the outside covering.
Are hot pockets healthy?
Although hot pockets are a great way to quench your hunger on the run, consistently eating them might not have many nutritional benefits. They are highly processed and high in sodium and saturated fats.
They don’t have a lot of fiber nor many proteins. Therefore, for those who want to reduce their waistlines, hot pockets don’t prove a great meal.
What should I do if I need a healthier option?
You can try out lean pockets if you’re looking for a healthier option compared to the standard hot pockets. They come in the original flavors like Philly steak and cheese, Chicken jalapeno, and cheese. They contain 9 grams of fat and less than 360 calories per serving.
Microwave vs oven, which hot pockets taste better?
It might sound like a good idea that cooking hot pockets in an oven would get you better results. The truth is, you should think again. The super fast snacks haven’t been made to withstand cooking in the oven.
They already come with crisp pockets to get them perfect crisp; and the oven does nothing except ruining the entire taste. They would taste more like uncorked fillings than tasty cheese or meaty flavors.
SO…. don’t ever cook them in the oven, but only if you have got no other options.
Microwave vs airfryer, which hot pockets taste better?
Air frying hot pockets can only be an option when you don’t have a microwave, yet as for the taste, they won’t prove great. The reason is that the hot pockets have been made for busy folks who need a mindblowing taste in no time.